10 Ways Not to Grow OldNov 22, 2023
Getting older is a privilege not everyone gets. Embrace this wonderful time in your life. Take these tips and make each day better. Remember – you are the greatest project you will ever work on.
- Mindset. How do you talk about aging? Are you negative about it, or do you see it as a glorious time in your life? Do you look in the mirror and only focus on the wrinkles or sagging skin? Decide to embrace this stage of life and make your third act better than the first two. How you talk to yourself about aging is important. See it as a positive – not a negative.
- Social Groups. All people need to be part of social groups for meaningful conversation, to go on walks, play pickleball or golf. Remember, who you spend the most time with matters. Your vibe attracts your tribe.
- Prioritize Sleep. We are the only mammals that do not prioritize sleep. Why? Sleeping 7-9 hours a night will keep you looking and feeling younger. There are so many empowering qualities of sleep. Follow the 3, 2, 1 method. Three hours before bed stop eating. Two hours before bed stop drinking. One hour before bed put up all electronic devices. Your sleep hygiene will keep you young.
- Play. The secret to staying young is play! Stress shrinks and ages your brain. Burnout isn’t a symptom of doing too much but rather not enough of what brings you joy. There is power to play. Laughter has a huge impact on how we age. And how we age depends on how we live life. Ten minutes of play a day can make you feel years younger.
- Limit Alcohol. If you want more energy, improved sleep, better digestion, fat loss, confidence and to save money – then greatly reduce or eliminate alcohol. Alcohol contains no nutrients, stimulates your appetite, and makes you puffy. Not a good look as we grow older.
- Whole Food. Food is how we age well. What you eat impacts depression and anxiety. Think about consuming excellent nutrition, especially protein. Consume one gram of protein per body weight each day. Spread it out over the day. If you eat three meals divide the amount by three and hit that macronutrient first.
- Curiosity & Imagination. Curiosity and imagination will make you younger mentally and physically. Being curious allows for a deeper experience of life. Go towards what lights you up. The more curious you are the more magic there is.
- Resistance Training. Your muscle is the organ to the key to longevity. Build strength in your daily life. Skeletal muscle can’t be purchased. You must earn it. Resistance training can be done with weights, body weight or resistance bands. It is never too late to be strong.
- Reduce Refined Sugar Intake. If you want to avoid several long- term health issues, reduce the amount of refined sugar. There are over 30 names for sugar so it can be challenging to spot on the ingredients list. Some suggestions are to cut out corn products. Anything corn based brings on sugar cravings. Choose whole foods that are high in fiber. Eat protein with each meal. Avoid artificial sweeteners and avoid sodas especially diet ones. Hey – no need for refined sugar – you are sweet enough already.
- Environment. We are a product of our environment. Live in an environment you love. Does that mean cleaning out some closets or a fresh coat of paint? Live in beauty and celebrate that every day.
You can decide to make your life relevant and be a positive role model as you age. I hope these 10 tips have been helpful.