A Clean Slate Starting Today – January 12Jan 11, 2023
Have you ever used this phrase on anyone – “I don’t care what you say, there is no excuse for _______"(insert the rest)
- not doing your homework,
- *forgetting to make your bed,
- *not brushing your teeth etc.”
Actually, making excuses is a natural human response. Making excuses are typically tracked back to:
- Lack of purpose
Why do you think that everything can completely change come January 1? Because of the New Year? Yes, it’s a clean slate. But today is a new day and could be a clean slate for you too.
It doesn’t matter if it is January 1, January 12, or July 12. Now is all we have. Today. Right now.
If you are making a resolution or deciding that something toxic needs to get out of your life, then carpe diem - seize the day! And today seems like the best day to do it.
Here are three ways to stop making excuses and seize the day.
1. Uncover Your Limiting Beliefs. In the Toxic Teardown we spent one day on limiting beliefs. These beliefs hold you back. They are stories you tell yourself that are not true. What you think about you bring about – if it is positive or negative. Some limiting beliefs include:
- Comparing yourself to others
- Being a people pleaser and approval seeker
- Striving for perfection
- Trying to always be in control
There are many more but do any of those resonate with you? Clear away that which does not serve you. Clear away the baggage that you’ve carried to this moment. Clear away anything and everything that drags you down, belittles you, shames you, or makes you feel as if you don’t belong.
Today you have a clean canvas.
2. Change Your Story. Once you have uncovered your limiting beliefs, you can change your story and stop making excuses. What you tell yourself is what you believe. We often tell ourselves we can’t do something before we even try.
It is all negative self-talk. You need to think about your thinking. Catch yourself when you are talking negative to yourself and change it. The negativity is a lie! Your reality reflects what you believe to be true. Are you going to believe the positive or negative? It’s only what you think about yourself, not what others think of you.
It feels good to be optimistic and leave things that weigh us down. Be the person this year that rises above the negativity. Let go of whatever is toxic. Be the one who is caring, compassionate and wants to make things better.
3. Take Responsibility. You alone control your destiny. No matter what has happened in the past, your future is up to you. Stop the blame game. You need to take charge. Decide how you want to live. Do you need to prioritize self-care? Learn a new skill for a job you want? Then today is the day to do it. It’s January 12 – a new day, a new destiny.
Be the one who loves, nurtures and is brave enough to make the necessary changes to live the life you’ve dreamed about. Let January 12 be your new beginning. Enjoy the journey.