How to select your Word of the YearJan 06, 2022
I love selecting a Word of the Year. It feels very different from crossing a goal off my list. It is an intention, a mantra to guide my daily actions and become a better version of myself.
It takes me several days or a week to select a word. You might have one knocking you on the head. I have never had one come that easily. If you haven’t either or you have never selected a word and would like to give it a try, these are the steps I take.
- I start this process by asking myself a few questions. What do I want more or less of this year? Last year I dedicated a lot of time and money on training. I would rather be teaching so this was a bit of a challenge for me. Sometimes training felt slow and other times it was overwhelming. No matter what, I’m ready to teach and train this year.
- Once I reflect on the previous year, I like to be still and dream. What do I want my year to look like? How do I want to show up each day? I will be still and allow words to come to me. As words flow by, I jot them down. Make a list. Here are some words as examples:
These are just a few examples to help you get started.
- I will review my list and circle maybe three words that resonate with me the most. Maybe one or two of the words jump out at you. Did you write down a word that scares you? Maybe you need that word the most.
- I once read where John Assaraf was asked “Are you interested, or are you committed”? If you are just interested in this word, you will make excuses as to why you don’t embrace it and make changes. But if you are committed to this word, you do whatever it takes to implement that word and bring more of it into your life.
- Sleep on it. Make sure you are committed to this word.
- Once you decide on a word – or two – write it down where you can see it every day.
If your word turns out to be Confidence or something similar – I have a FREE upcoming workshop called “3 Secrets to Increasing Your Confidence.”
We all lack confidence at times. If you are determined to ask for the raise, or go on the date or let go of a toxic relationship – my 3 Secrets are for you. Select a date and time that works best for you. I’m so excited about sharing this with you.
Here’s to our best year ever!